News & Publications ← View All News
October 13, 2023
CEO Job Description and Job Offer
The Manitoba Research Network (MRnet) is a member-driven, incorporated not-for-profit organization that connects Manitoba’s research, education, and innovation (REI) organizations to the world. We are Manitoba’s member of Canada’s National Research and Education Network (NREN). Our core role is to oversee the development and operations of Manitoba’s REI cyberinfrastructure - the advanced system of networks and information technology that keep researchers, educators, and innovators at the forefront of technological change. We provide collaborative vision, leadership, and operational excellence to the REI sectors, creating value for our members with organizational and operational efficiencies and effectiveness through promotion and operation of leading digital technology. Membership is open to all research, education and innovation organizations and institutions in Manitoba.
Our current Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is retiring. The position reports to the Chair of the MRnet Board of Directors and works collaboratively with the Executive Committee of the Board of Directors, and holds responsibility for all facets of the organization. While historically MRnet has remained a small, yet high value organization, MRnet’s Board of Directors has recently approved an investment strategy for growth. This is an exciting opportunity to lead us into a new era of growth and develop new value for the Research, Education, and Innovation sectors in Manitoba.
Key Accountabilities, including, but not limited to:
• Championing the vision and providing service-oriented leadership to the organization and to the research, education, and innovation sectors
• Providing innovative concepts that drive the development of a business model that promotes the ongoing development of growth, value creation and sustainability strategies
• Working collaboratively and effectively communicating with senior officials of members, sector organizations, governments, and the broader REI community in Manitoba
• Being an advocate, broker, facilitator to members, researchers, innovators in a federated structure
• Fostering and working within a collaborative, federated decision-making culture, with a proven ability to build consensus and act upon it.
• Representing MRnet on the NREN Governance Committee and participating in various NREN working groups
• Acting as liaison with other Regional Advanced Network organizations across Canada and beyond
• Guiding and improving how technology is accessed, and used for our member organizations
• Providing value through enriching core networks, expanding shared services, building relationships, leveraging national initiatives
• Overseeing staff and contractors that are performing technical, administrative, project and operational duties for the organization
• Performing administrative duties including preparing budgets, annual reports, policies, procedures, performance reports, social media
• Organizing executive, board, and annual general meetings
As the ideal candidate you bring the following qualifications to the role:
• Strong leadership/management experience within a growing, complex, federated organization, where you have developed, recommended, implemented, communicated, evaluated, and enhanced a broad range of value-added services/programs
• Proven ability to work with senior executives in the education, research, and innovation sectors and with all levels of government
• Exceptional ability to innovate, think strategically and with demonstrated success working with constrained resources
• Above average technical experience combined with a broad range of information technology management skills encompassing network to emerging technologies and services
• Gifted communicator, and relationship builder
• Strong business acumen and entrepreneurial mind-set to effectively mobilize resources and develop new partnerships and ventures to enhance organization performance
• Extensive experience developing winning pitch deck presentations for all stakeholders, and all levels of government
• Exceptionally organized with the ability to turn the complex to simple, and successfully execute
• A roll up your sleeves style and the ability to get things done with limited resources
• A resident in the province of Manitoba, or relocation to Manitoba
• Must hold a valid driver’s license and be willing to travel in-province
• Ability to travel across Canada for national meetings, and possibly internationally
• Must successfully obtain and maintain a clear police record check and background check
• Value the balance of in-person and remote meetings and working sessions
We recognize there are many different pathways to becoming a strong and engaging leader. We are committed to equity, diversity, and inclusivity in this recruitment. Missing a few of the requirements and not sure if you are qualified? Let us be the judge, submit your resume – we will follow up, we promise!
Email your Resume/CV to email@example.com.